Old 03-20-2009, 04:18 AM
mpspeedy

I belong to two guilds. Each has it's own personality. There will always be members that rub you the wrong way. I am surprised you took your children. How old are they? I know that children are not usually welcome at either of my guilds. The woman look at it as if this is their night or day out. In an emergency situation they will tolerate children if they are well behaved or small enough to be stationary. Both guilds offer opportunities for chairitable giving and projects. In any group there will be personality clashes. Perhaps you need to find a guild that fits your life and quilting style more comfortably.
It is getting more expensive for guilds everyday just like everything and everybody else. A good speaker costs $400 or so and most groups have to pay rent for their meeting place. Most groups offer newsletters , handouts of patterns etc and even some kind of refreshments. Dues are getting higher to offset these expenses. Raffles and quilts shows are ways to raise money from people other than guild members. If you compare the price to what you would spend on a movie or other outing it actually is usually is a really good deal.
I hope you find a quild that fits you.