View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Scrap Happy

This isn’t the best picture of her but the best one on my computer. Her name is Sassy, she’s is the German Shepherd on right in my avatar. My Dad got her from a lady who didn’t want her anymore when she was 2 ½ years old. After that Dad became ill. I told Dad that if anything happened to him that Sassy had a home with us – but never really thought that time would come. She had horrible manners and had not been properly socialized when Dad got her. He worked with her some before he wasn’t able to. She didn’t like other dogs and we had 2 (she loved cats.) Before bringing her into our home I had to be sure she wouldn’t hurt our other girls (China in my avatar and Katie who is gone now.) Sassy had shown aggression towards Katie who was a lot smaller. She didn’t bite her but it was scary. I wasn’t going to endanger Katie’s or China’s safety or life. But what was I going to do? I made a promise to my Dad. I also believed with all my heart that Sassy deserved a good life, a better one than how hers had started out. She had been abused.

So after what seemed to be 1000’s of e-mails and phone calls to vets, trainers and rescue groups I finally reached a man who breeds German Shepherds and specializes in difficult dog behaviors (even dogs who have bitten – Sassy had never bitten.) DH & I met with this trainer who lived a couple hours north of us. We brought Katie too at his request so he could observe them interacting together. The 3 of us watched and stayed close. He said that there was nothing wrong with Sassy and that she just needed to understand what the rules were. We never, ever left her alone with our other dogs. It was not easy at first. In time all of our girls came to love, play and sleep together. This was HUGE progress for Sassy!! I knew she could do it :-P

One trainer told me she was too damaged and would never fit into any home and I should just put her down. Balderdash!!! I believe in 2nd chances.

Part of Sassy’s rehab was to get her used to new people coming & going in her home. So we had friends come over (warned ahead of time of her odd behavior – she wouldn’t stop barking then run up to people and then run away, over & over & over again!!) In time she has come to love having company, even other dogs who visit (our doors are open to our friend’s pets whenever they come over.) She will be 12 in May and is a blessing to us.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190280.jpe