Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I've not used a double needle in my regular machine either....was just thinking about it as I have to be repairing a leg on my sons dress pants. I have no clue how to do it. You can see the double needle that threaded the rest of the seam. They don't have to be nice looking, it's just the bottom of one pant leg....but he has to have dress pants for his upcoming choir concert and he ripped the side seam on his only pair.

All of his ripped jeans are going to magically turn into shorts for the summer....mostly cause I don't know how to repair anything. I won't patch knees, been there done that...just gotta figure out this seam thing. Clothes are so much harder than quilts!
Most of those double needle looking hems were put in with a Serger using the chain stitch, which is what finishes sweatshirts, T shirts, and yes slacks hems. I'd bet that is the way the hem was done -- it is a one step process, very fast and clean -- not with a double needle. Unless, the commercial machines do the same thing? I know nothing about commercial machines, but if you had a Serger you could finish those hems with a very professional look.

Nancy