View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
In the debate of whether or not you pre-wash your fabrics, I take the side the pre-washing because I don't want to run into any sort of surprises. I wash my fabrics one at a time on the smallest load because I worry about colors running together.

That's kind of a problem. Though I am trying to put in an effort to change this, I still live with my mother. It seems like she'll nag at me about every little thing. The other day I went and washed one of the fabrics for my Shuriken Packer quilt and she nagged at me because it was the only item in the wash.

I guess this is not a huge problem as I don't have a lot of fabrics to wash.........................yet. My big project requires about 70 or so different colors of marble/watercolor fabrics. I definatly worry about color fast-ness on this one as there are so many fabrics and a lot of subtle color variation that I don't want to ruin because excess dye got into other fabrics. But even if I had my own washer and dryer, doing 70 loads for each indivual fabric is a bit ridiculous.

What can I do to avoid colors possibly running together without having to do so many loads of laundry?
Personally, if it was me and I had that many pieces to wash, I would be doing it in the bathroom sink by hand. I am a great believer in color catchers. If you do them by hand, you are using less water, agitating with your hands, which will minimize fraying, and you will be able to see right away if a fabric is going to run. I have a well pump and would be very upset if one of my kids came in and started washing one piece of fabric at time. Back to the hand washing, after a thorough rinsing till the water runs clear, roll the fabric in a towel to get the excess water out and then dry as desired.