View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
dforesee

We all know that no material possessions, not even quilts, can ever be compared to lives. But in the wake of the horrific storms that swept across the southeast this week, I know that all of you, as fellow quilters, will understand the poignancy of this tidbit regarding my 89 year old dear friend and quilting mentor who taught me to quilt and has published many articles in quilting magazines, Marzee Tew. Marzee's daughter was one of the Alabama familes who lost their home and everything in it. They are all fine, thankful to be alive and not stressing at all over their loss of material possessions in light of the big picture. But I could not help but shed a tear or two as I realized that probably 20-30 of the 100+ quilts that Marzee has lovingly hand-stitched from start to finish, and often out of clothes of loved ones over the years, were in that home and are now "gone with the wind." I have seen stories of how some articles have shown up many miles away. It will be interesting to see if any of those quilts ever re-surface, and where, and whom they might chance to bring a moment of comfort to in the meantime. I'd like to think that might happen, anyway. My prayers are with all of our neighbors and friends, far and wide, who have suffered loss at any level.