View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
blueheavenfla

Originally Posted by QuilterChick
Originally Posted by PamB8s
My husband asked me what I wanted for my 10th wedding anniversary and I have been thinking about an embroidery machine. I don't want to do anything professionally. Just home embroidery, gifts, enhancing quilts. etc. Tell me in your opinion whats a great one to have. Thanks so much, Have a blessed day.
Many of us quilters/embroiders have the Pfaff 2170 machine, the last and best of the "2100 series". If you quilt and embroider, it is the easiest to switch over from sewing to embr. and takes up less space, and is an awesome machine.

I would suggest whatever you decide on, buy a good used machine that someone has traded in via a dealer or private party that has taken good care of it. A dealer will give you lessons which you might need, and service. No need to buy a brand new machine if you are just starting out. Many of us started out with the "embroidery only" machines, such as the Bernina Deco 500 or 600, and those have a small embroidery field of 4" x 4". You should get something with a bigger hoop so you don't have to keep trading up like many of us have. It's like buying a boat ... you will want bigger and better eventually ... and in that regard, you can get a very good used machine if you look. Brand new Pfaff big bad Creative Vision 5.5 will run you around $7,000. The Bernina 830, (choke) about $11,000.

I'd say go middle of the road with a well cared for used machine and embroider away. Get addicted like the rest of us. :lol:
I purchased a Pfaff 2170 from a private individual and while I love it for sewing, I don't begin to know how to use it to embroider. Once she got my check, I never heard another word from her...my fault, I guess. Since the woman knew that I had no knowledge of embroidery machines, I just assumed she would give me a little info to get me started.

Dealers aren't interested in giving classes so...I have yet to use the embroidery function.

Just a word to the wise...don't be like me unless you have a friend who will help you get started.