Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 AM
cheezythequiltmaker

I always say my stash is like my retirement fund... I am spending now for when I will have less money and more time to quilt!

I did have one sticky moment with the DH... he remarked in the negative as to how much money I was spending... My money I told him and oh yeah when was the last time we had to buy a birthday or Christmas present for one of the family... they had all gotten quilts or other items I had made. With materials I had bought and therefore paid for.

Bless him, the next time we went to a party where we were taking a present (wine glass charms - I also teach and make jewellery) he asked me how much the materials cost and transferred half the cost to my personal account.

DH has great ideas, some completely off the wall but every now and then he comes up with a good one.

The rest of the family ( ladies) are all sewers of some sort. Mum knits, crochets does cross stitch and dressmakes but has only made one quilt. Auntie is fantastic at embroidery and is doing an epic crazy quilt. MIL makes lace.

I Like making bags and at one point churned out nearly 100 back packs.

I have made a lot of quilts and wall hangings for charity I have even had them appear on TV in A sci fi show! I was known as "the one who makes the quilts"

Now I am very fortunate to have found a way to make part of my living by teaching people how to quilt. At first I taught dressmaking which I was taught by my mum, but these days I only really make special costumes and evening gowns - I had a "Victorian period" which involved corsetry and boning and authentic patterns. I have some lovely dresses which I can switch up to look Victorian or more modern.

I make a lot of stuff with fabric. Bags, book covers, all sorts. DH knew what he was getting into when we got married. My first "house" purchase was a sewing machine!!!!

Becks
edited for spelling - sorry dyslexic