View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stictch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
I like the look of hand sewn binding, but have arthritis in my hands and wrists and can't do hand stitching for more than a few inches, so I sew mine on the sewing machine. Sometimes I use a fancy stitch, sometimes just straight stitch. I set my machine needle so it stitches just to the right of the edge with a part of the foot riding along that edge; I get a very straight stitch that way. We all find our own ways of doing things, and unless we are doing a competition quilt, I don't see any reason to do things any way other than what we enjoy doing. No quilt police here. There are no hard and fast rules for the majority of us.