View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
cheezythequiltmaker

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I like doing the hand binding, it is the final act for me in making a quilt. I prefer the look. I have tried to machine sew the binding on but don't like the look, sometimes even get the puckers but again, that is my fault, too. When I take the time to cut, piece, square and quilt a quilt, the binding is my last hands on labor of love. Everyone has there own way of doing thing. I just prefer to hand stitch mine to the back.
I agree I have never managed to get an effect I am pleased with. Why spoil the final piece for the sake of a little time hand stitching. I must admit though I have never tried all the fusing the folded edge to the back in place or glue basting before machine stitching.

I actually love hand binding the final edge. I always use double fold binding and mitre the corners. I never butt end the corners as again that just looks yucky to me and once you learn how to mitre there's no point!

Each to his own. As I say to my students, if you are happy with it it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. but if it's gonna bug you, pass the stitch ripper!