View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 AM
clsurz

I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.

If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.

Some of the things I've read over the last several months and heard from our area and online by doing a search of what guilds offer many of them are very active and others not so much and some in between.

So since I asked the question I guess I'll start with ours the Wayne County Quilt Guild in Jesup, GA.

1- Officers and committees run for a period of two years;
2- Annual business meeting is held every January;
3- Monthly meetings are held twice a month with one being in the morning and the other in the evening;
4- Each month we have at least one teaching us something new about quilting, tools used, sewing, etc.;
5- Do charity quilts year round for displaced children taken from there homes; we also make quilts for other necessary needs such as the Austrialia couple months ago; for Japan last month and now we are getting ready to make quilts for those hit by tornadoes in Southern States recently; and we also made a quilt for a family who was burned out in a neighboring town last month when fires burned out several acres in that town.
6- Each March we participate in the dogwood festival promoting the guild and also raffling off a quilt made by the guild and money made is donated to a worth cause. This year we sold over $850 worth of tickets and after expenses taken out to make the quild the balance was donated this year to the county library to use for children's programs they run throughout the year;
7- We have a retreat each year usually in the fall and this year it is at the end of August;
8- After the morning monthly guild meeting we go to lunch at some resturant and than go to a local church for a "sew after" and we help each other out with projects we work on for each other as well as for the guild projects;
9- Throughout the month various ones meet in each others home in mini-groups to socialize, sew and quilt. I go with a group every Wednesday at a ladies place where she has a mobile home on her property that is used exclusively for use for such purposes. Boy do we have a good time. We eat, drink, sew, and work on each others projects and these ladies are wonderful in helping new folks like me to learn to sew and quilt.
10- The guild also has a "Big Sister, Little Sister" program which is a seasoned and active quilter of the guild is matched with a new member for a full year to help answer questions, teach them how to quilt, and such. I was fortunate to be paired with the lady whose home I go to each Wednesday and a couple other ladies in that same group got each one as well who are part of the guild but now also of this Wednesday meet if they wish to attend.

I'm probably missing some things we do since I'm still learning and new in this guild, only 4 months, going into my 5th now.

ANYWAY who is next to share what y'all do and what type of guild are you! I know some guilds are laid back and just friends getting together and some are much larger with few hundred members. Our guild only has 40 something members so we are small compared to others.