View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Nana Julie

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
I can't believe that not one lady on this board mentioned the ladies who wear RED HATs (I'm one of them) At our monthly meeting which is a luncheon, we ALWAYS wear hats. Red hats most months but purple hats in our birth month and the "birth" month of the organization and our chapter. Some of us even make our own hats and many adorn plain hats that they bought in local stores. I even was given a shocking pink hat that I transformed into a red hat with purple trim with fabrics that I bought at Hancock's.

Yes, back in the dark ages when I was growing up, we all wore hats and gloves. Fortunately, I kept a pair of red mid arm gloves that I wear with my red hat garb. It is a bit warm in the summer to wear felt hats but straw and other light weight fabrics make it bearable. Try it, it's FUN.
I did mention that I have a "Pink Hat" for my Red Hat days. Our group seems to have dropped off of the face of the earth. Also I can't afford the places that they all wanted to go and they always wanted to go during the day and at the time I had a job and was unable to attend.

I used to be the Activity Director at our local nursing home and we had our own Red Hat Society. We made hats for all of the ladies, both in red, purple, pink and lavender. (as we had some younger residents)We had a parade of the Hats. We had weekly meetings and made scrap books and planned luncheons. I let them choose the country location and the food. The best time we had was our luncheon in Italy. They enjoyed this very much. After I left I found out that the new activity director let the guys attend and they wore the hats as well. I later heard that the "society" fell to the wayside. I guess the ladies didn't like sharing their special time.