View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
May in Jersey

My Guild has 10 regular meetings a year, a bi-annual quilt show, raffles off a quilt each year, Community Outreach Program that distributes quilts and pillowcases to people in need, hosptials, food banks, churchs, etc.. Our monthly meetings begin with current business, then Show and Tell, a break for refreshments, then program of the month. Programs are mostly trunk shows by guest speakers or guild members, this month (May) we held our annual tea. We also have many workshop programs by guest teachers or guild members. We try to get newcomers to feel welcome but holding one or two Getting To Know You meetings a year where everyone is seated at tables and we share quilting and personal talk with each other. Our monthly newsletter features articles by our president and members, calendar of meetings, workshops, Sew In days, quilt shows by local guilds, etc. as well as ads by local quilt shops. Guild hosts the annual meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Guilds. We have a large stash room where we can help ourselves to anything we need, stash is always growing with donations from members who downsize their stashes. All in all it's a good group that has been in together for 25 years.

We meetl in the buildings of a local park and use the park, it's grounds and buildings for our quilt shows. In return we donate the proceeds of our annual raffle quilt to the park as our "rent" for the year, an arrangment that suits both the park and our guild. Guild members need to join the Park, fee for me this year was $25, which besides making me a guild member entitles me to park activities. May in Jersey