Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jljack
Well, I found out that the zipper/cording foot I bought online described as for my 301 doesn't work with it!! The needle hits the foot. What could be causing that?
301 is a slant-o-matic foot - don't know what the other machine is but it isn't likely the feet interchange
I have both slant foot machines (301, 403) and low shank 'straight' foot machines (66, 15-91s) and the feet are not interchangable between the two types. (um and there are LOTS and lots of folks on this thread/board that have way more machines and experience than I do!) They'll tell you the same.

Actually, there are at least 4 styles of basic machine feet that I know of (snap on, low shank, high shank, slant) but there are probably many more, especially with newer machines.

But, in regards to the old style/vintage machines, there are readily available feet out there made to fit each style. Learn which style/type your machine calls for. Then it's a case of reading the ebay descriptions very carefully - some of those descriptions are vague!

Perhaps you can contact the seller and offer an exchange? You'll send back the foot that doesn't fit, if s/he will send you the slant version? Was it a special type of zipper foot? I have several sets of 301 feet, and some extras... if I have a z foot you can use, I'll gladly send it to you...
Thanks for your very generous offer!!! The foot I ordered is for my 301, and advertised as being specifically for a 301. I am puzzled why it is not fitting correctly. I only fiddled with it for a few minutes...my Grandaughter was over and wanted to sew a zipper into some shorts she is making. We couldn't get the foot to work properly, so just stopped fussing with it. I'll try to figure out if I put it on wrong, or if it can be adjusted differently. It does adjust from side to side, so I wonder if I can fine-adjust it so the needle won't hit the foot. I'll keep trying. I'll also take a pic tonite (if I remember!) and put it up if I can't get it to work. Maybe one of you can help, or maybe I need to send it back...it could be he sent the wrong foot!
I appreciate everyone's comments...