Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Blinky

It is so special to think about Grandmother's sewing on these machines. I have a featherweight and love it but this treadle is so unique and I can actually use it as a beautiful piece of furniture!

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Elizabeth that is a really nice Model 127 Sphinx decaled machine! I am using my Sphinx for piecing right now in my sewing room -- that machine will sew through a jean flat felt seam like butter! It won't skip a stitch! Very powerful machine. Just keep it well oiled and grease the foot pedal on the treadle occasionally!

Irishrose AND Baysidegal, I can't bring myself to part out my new 66-6, I will just have to find a foot pedal to use with it! I wish it had reverse, not new enough, then I'd put it in a treadle to use! I have enough treadles without reverse now - I don't need another one! Nancy
Elizabeth... love your machine. I have TWO 127s, both Eqyptian decals. One I'm going to keep electric, the other I'm going to treadle. (eventually!). I love them. Both were machines bought by friend's grandmothers... loved... sewed with lots... and both purr from being so well taken care of. Decals a little fuzzy... but they've seen lots of cloth under those needles!

Nancy... you can get a foot pedal for the the 66-6 off ebay. I ended up rewiring the old one, but then also bought a 'new' foot pedal with the 66 cord set - so that I can use it with finer control. I love best the knee lever operation, so I leave the old foot pedal in the cabinet hooked into the knee operation. But when I have the need to change out machine heads, I'll just plug in that 66-6 on the regular 66 cord/pedal and use it on the table. Works fine. On that backtack... I learned to start my stitching on a scrap piece, then holding firmly, sew onto the real project fabric (this makes tiny stitches, almost like a backtack, without bunching up the fabric). It works, and is now second nature to me. I LOVE my granny's 66-6 machine. No, it doesn't have reverse, but man, can I sew boat canvas with it!