View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Baloonatic

Originally Posted by clsurz
I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.
If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.
Some of the things I've read over the last several months and heard from our area and online by doing a search of what guilds offer many of them are very active and others not so much and some in between.
ANYWAY who is next to share what y'all do and what type of guild are you! I know some guilds are laid back and just friends getting together and some are much larger with few hundred members. Our guild only has 40 something members so we are small compared to others.
Both of my guilds make quilts for charity, of course. But one is so philanthropically determined that we make over 650 a year and donate them to at least 15 organizations, hospitals and non-profits. We meet every week for 5 hours. A small group of us meet twice a month and longarm quilt an average of 25 quilts each time. Others take some home to quilt on their own machines.
During guild meetings one guild offers healthy snacks (and otherwise) during break, brought by members.
Seven guilds in the area participate in a grand quilt show each year (7 Sisters), which was just held this past weekend. Some guilds vote to participate yearly, others every other year. We all work hard and have a great time!

Both of my guilds have a Small Quilt Auction every year. Even while participating in the 7 Sisters show, some guilds choose to have their own quilt show during the year.