View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S
Lesley, I want your quilt. It is awesome! It is so me, I love everything about it. Can I copy it? You added embroidered hearts around the corner blocks and in the small borders. How did you make the sm borders? It looks like you appliqued pieces to a black strip? The quilt in the book has, I thought,printed fabric borders or is there a template in the book I am not seeing? Did you enlarge the big borders 142% as well? I can't tell from the picture is your embroidery floss metalic? It looks like hand embroidery. Any way it is a good thing for the JTG club, they can work out the bugs for the rest of us. Your quilt is stunning.
Firstly, no, I don't mind at all if you (or anyone else) wants to copy something I have done with this quilt.

Yes, I enlarged by 142%, but in practice that comes out just a tad under 1.5in (finished) wide, so I cut them at 2in and machined a good quarter inch seam rather than a scant quarter inch. Big borders enlarged by 142% also.

I thought I had put pics of how I arrived at my narrow border here, but it was on my PDA (page 490) It might be better if you have a look there, as I am having huge problems trying to upload pics here at the moment. In essence, I couldn't find a border print I liked, I tried semi circles, no not quite what I wanted, so adapted the semi's to sort of bracket shapes. I made two strips, back to back appliqueing with needleturn (i.e. 4in wide black to start with), and then cut them lengthwise through the middles. After I had a good length done, I still wasn't quite happy, so then I embroidered small hearts between each dip.

I am embroidering with two strands of DMC stranded cotton(floss) shade 742 in stem stitch.

The infill between the corner blocks looked very bare to me, so I used the small heart I had put in my narrow border, and nested it with slightly larger ones to embroider.

Infill design between blocks 1 and 2 & 1 and 7
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192332[/ATTACH]

Embroidered
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192333[/ATTACH]

I preferred it with the curls
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192334[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192326.jpe   attachment-192327.jpe   attachment-192328.jpe