View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Johanna Fritz

Originally Posted by clsurz
I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.

If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.

Guild: West Suburban Quilt Guild - www.wsqg.net
Brookfield, WI (western suburb of Milwaukee, WI)

1- Officers and committees run for a period of one year;
2- Annual business meeting is held every September;
3- Monthly meetings are held once a month meeting Sept through May
4- Each month we have a speaker (teacher) at the meeting. Usually regionally or nationally known - one workshop with that speaker for full day one Sat per month for a approx $40 fee;
5- Do charity quilts for project Linus and for local charity. THis year we had a challenge fabric given to us and we made charity quilts that were judged by our peers. Winners won $ that they assigned to their charity of choice.
6- Each March in alternate years we have a local quilt show in suburban Milwaukee. We shoot for 300+ quilts.;
7- We have open sewing days during the year-free;
8- Dec and May are our pot luck meetings.
9. We have a block of the month - 1st pattern for $1.00. You receive a pattern and part of the fabric with light/dark guidelines to complete. For each one you turn in get one raffle ticket. One name drawn takes all the blocks. We also have show and tell each month. Pictures taken and posted at our website. (Check it out)
10- Dues $22 per year. There are some "off shoot" groups (I am in an Art quilt group) that meet informally once per month. Shared interests...no dues or speakers.
11 - We have name tags - each makes her own with fabric etc. We draw member numbers from the hat each meeting for 2 or 3 door prizes. Need to wear name tag to get a prize.
12-We publish (color copy) a directory each Oct.

Our guild only has 95 members and usually 10 on waiting list.
www.wsqg.net (guild website)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192403[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192396.jpe   attachment-192397.jpe