Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Anyone recognize this model of Singer? Do you think that color is true or maybe just the person's camera?
http://www.searchtempest.com/results...20&maxDist=250Žion_us=1&search_string=sewing&keytype=adv&Region= na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=sss&min Ask=min&maxAsk=max
I got a list of ads, but not one particular?
Oh drat! Let me see if I can find it again.
Here's some info on the 185 -- it's an updated 99 in new clothes!! 3/4 size!! Cool!!

"The Singer 185 was produced between about 1955 up to around 1964. It replaced the popular 99K model. The 99K was a 3/4 size straight-stitch model -- one of the classic "old black Singers". I'm not sure how long the 99 was produced -- some sources suggest it was in production for nearly 40 years (like I said, a popular machine!)

The 185 modernized the 99 -- but mainly in appearance only. The innards are still basically the same (if it's worked for 40 years, why change it?) and it's still a 3/4 size machine.

Although the 185 is basically a 99 in modern clothes, prices for 185's have edged past the model 99 (supply and demand?). I think the neat styling is the key -- along with the fact that it's a proven and reliable straight-stitch machine from back in the days when Singer machines were top of the line! "