Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
littleone

Originally Posted by littleone
Originally Posted by miriam
That bottom Singer is a 414g? Looks like a 404 but made in Germany - those were most likely a 'beginner' machine a - just a simple to use straight stitch - a lot were probably used in schools late 50s and early 60s. They are a wonderful machine. They have the same slant needle as the 301, 401 & 500 so all of the accessories fit it too. It is easy to see the needle because of the slant and they have a very nice light. They are a straight stitch only. They are also light weight - about the same size and weight of the 301. BUT what I like is the drop in bobbin - so easy to use! It takes the class 66 bobbins. I bought out a school full of them a couple years ago. My grand daughters and great niece each sew with one. Some day they will graduate to 400's or 500's for the decorative stitches I'm sure.
The the second machine is a 414G as indicated on the machine and in it's manual. This machine is very heavy as its all metal, no plastic on this machine. This machine was bought in Germany. It is a straight stitch only except it has a zig zag attachment as well as the button holer and other attchments. And not a slant needle. Is there a site I can determine the age, etc on singer machines.
:oops: :oops: Just checked the 414G and my mistake the needle is slanted, why did I have so much trouble threading it yesterday...could be my poor eyesight. :lol: