Thread: Tell Me Why??
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Aurora

I am not crazy about the bells and whistles. I have no problem threading my own machine. I am more than able to cut my own thread. Bobbins running out of thread are not an issue, I always have a filled one ready so I don't have to unthread my machine. My 301a holds a separate spool for filling the bobbin.

No matter how much you pay for those bells and whistles what you really have is a hunk of plastic that is considered to be disposable. The gears will get hot and wear out. My little 301a has been around and sewing for over 40 years. It is quieter than the new machines, does not do a little dance across the table every time I sew, does not need to be reset before I start sewing because some fool fixed the electronics to return to a specific setting when the machine is turned off.

When I began quilting two years ago, I bought a new sewing machine wonder. I took it to guild three times, brought it home and returned it to its box. One day it will be donated or sold for almost nothing because I dislike it so much. I have since purchased at least ten vintage machines that I can clean and maintain without taking them in for expensive service charges.

If one of my machines does give up the ghost, I can sell it for scrap and it will not contribute to the ever growing pile of trash.

All I really need is a machine that sews forward, reverse, and a zigzag stitch when needed and I can still meet those requirements with a vintage machine. Yes I have a FW, but prefer my 301a.