View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM
LaurieE

I learned to quilt in 1973 using cardboard templates and scissors. At that time, there were very few quilt books on the market. Quilters Newsletter was only a few years old and was printed in black and white.

I must admit I am so very grateful for rotary cutters, mats, and especially the HST method. I could never get my seams to match up before. I'm amazed the seams in the antique quilts do! Unless I get a set of accurate plastic templates, I wouldn't want to go back to the old template method.

I agree with redturtle that the old ways are being forgotten which is a shame. My LQS owner doesn't know how to calculate the amount of fabric needed based on the size of template & the block being made. I was told "most people usually buy x-number of yards." Knowing how to do the calculations was required in the old days. I guess that's more of a statement to the increase in people's financial status as well as the decline in home clothing construction.

Some of the modern techniques seem very wasteful to me. Also many of the old names of quilt blocks are being changed. Mainly by pattern book authors and magazine editors all because they want to give a quilt a snazzy name. They don't mention in the article that this quilt was made using such-n-such block.