View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
pab58

You stated that your ex-boyfriend's mother "is a wonderful, wonderful quilter." Are you comparing your work to hers? Keep in mind that SHE was a beginning quilter, too. Even though there are many, many differences, having a background in garment sewing can smooth the transition into making quilts -- at least I think it did for me. You said she makes clothes, too. That has probably helped her in her quilting. When constructing clothing, things have to line up -- especially in certain areas. There is some fudging that can be done, but if some things aren't sewn together correctly, they will be wonky, etc. ;) Ask me how I know this!!! :oops: :roll:

I cannot begin to count the number of times I had to rip things apart! I even had to take 2/3 of a quilt apart because the dye lot of the background was a shade off, and I was unable to locate a close match for the dye lot from the 2/3 section!!! Talk about being frustrated!!!! I was in tears!! All that work for nothing!!! At least I thought it was for nothing! I learned a valuable lesson that day: buy plenty of fabric to complete the background of the top!!!!!!

Please don't compare your work to others -- especially to your dear friend's work. Accept your work for where it is at TODAY. Down the road you will see the long path you have traveled and will be proud of what you have accomplished. Step back for a while if you feel you need a break, or as others have suggested make a charity quilt. It will lift your spirits and will be a blessing to the one who receives it. Then come back refreshed and inspired to begin something a bit more challenging. No one ever said that every quilt had to be at an advanced/experienced level!! Make what you enjoy and see every moment as a learning moment. 8-)

Please don't be discouraged. Come here to the QB, and we will provide you with friendship, empathy, sympathy, encouragement, knowledge, and with whatever else you might need to get through your frustrations. We will celebrate with you and cry with you -- whichever one you need! ;-)