Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Maura
I just won a Singer 201-2 on ebay. I can't copy the picture to show here, but it looks like it is in good condition, the decals are heavy and clear. I have a Pfaff that will sew a good 1/4" seam, but it skips stitches when going over more than two layers of cloth and I'm ready to throw it out the window. I figured that these old machines made many quilts, piecing and quilting, and that is all I really need. I've read reviews that say the 201 is the best machine singer ever made. For $207, that ain't bad (total $246).

I now have absolutely NO excuse not to make a dozen quilts this year!
Ok Maura, what Model Pfaff do you have? It must be a newer machine as the old ones could sew through 4 layers of canvas making sails! I have a 1222E from 1976 and a Model 130 from 1952 that will sew through anything! I also have a new computerized one that I don't even use to sew now after having to get it repaired -- I only use it for embroidering -- it is like you said -- won't sew through more than two layers. I broke it trying to use it for piecing!

Yes, the 201 was advertized as the 'finest sewing machine Singer ever made." There are a lot of people here that swear by the 201. Congratulations on your new machines!

Nancy