View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Furza Flyin

I am doing the same thing. Hospital sitting. MIL was released today and starting the 16 we will be a Shriners with my DD. I am doing the Grandmother's Flower Garden out of scraps and my stash. I cut the hexagons out of freezer paper at the local grade school using their die cut machine. They dont charge and just ask that you clean up. The die cut blocks are usually 5 " wide and 6 hexagons to a block cut. I can stack 8 layers at a time to cut. I pre cut the freezer paper to 5" wide and it makes it easier to slide under the blocks. I cut my scraps and stash that I am using to 3" squares and iron on the freezerpaper at home in the evenings. I can then trim the squares to hexagons ( alittle wider than a 1/4 inch seam allowance) while sitting and then start sewing them at the hospital. The hexagons are 2" across the middle. I also use a hole punch in the middle of the freezerpaper hexagons to make removing them from the finished quilt top easier. I keep the hexagons in quart sized zip top bags. That way its small, fits in my purse and easy to grab and store.

I will add you and your family my prayers.

HUGS! Elizabeth