Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by ckcowl
when i pre=wash i use my regular laundry detergent- no fabric softener- i'm removing chemicals-don't want to add any-
the (quilt-soap) is called ORVIS i think it is actually a bar and you shave some off and add to the water. how ever it comes- it is supposed to only take a little and last a long time.
i have never looked into it- i figure if my detergent is good enough for my clothes, it's good enough for fabrics too.
This was mentioned in a thread awhile back, to use Orvus? (or is it spelled Orvis?). We use it for washing show cattle. It's gentle on the cattle's skin and with a few washing, the hair is nice and soft and shiny. Available at the farm supply and/or feed stores.

Here we buy it in small pails or tubs. If it's warm, it's very malleable. If it's ccccccold as sometimes it is at the wash racks, it solidifies some, though you can always just scoop some out with your hand and swish it in the pail of water.

So would think all would be the same if you were using it for your fabrics!!

For me .... just my regular laundry soap is used. HOT water and HOT dryer. The strategy being, abuse it now so you won't get any surprises later!!!! Plus it's pre-shrunk. Also, keep an eye on colour running and need for setting. If it can't stand this abuse, then I would re-think whether it should go into a quilt that I'm going to be putting hours into.

I know, many say not to do the hot/hot wash/dry, as you are going to wash gently later. However, what about the time where a quilt is accidentally dumped into hot water? .... I'd sooner take it thru those steps NOW, rather than a disappointment later.

Besides ... I know all the fabric in my stash is ready to go, when I take the urge! :)
EXACTLY how I feel about washing fabrics before cutting them.