View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joy
Rhonda - those hot pads (pot holders)... what did you put in the middle of the materials? I made a couple of pot holders and found they were not thick enough to get the roasting dish out of the oven but OK folded over... so next time I will put double the insulating stuff I had in the middle... but what did you use? Also how much thickness? Please....!!!

I use two layers of traditional batting made by Fairfield. It is a polyfil and I usually buy the crib size because it is easier to work with not so big and bulky and per ounce is actually cheaper than the larger ones.
I get mine at my local walmart but you can find them at hobby lobby and online at www.poly-fil.com

I have been using this for 11 years and never had any complaints so it must be ok.

I like the traditional because it is dense and yet thin and light at the same time. If you use a fluffy batting it will allow too much air in and then you get burned!

I tried differant things when I first started making them and this is what we ended up thinking worked the best. Hope this helps!

You can also buy a fabric that has a silver insulation on one side. Use that for the back of the hotpad.
I didn't want to use this but it is an option you might want to look into.