View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Bluphrog

Originally Posted by izzybelle
i am newer quilter, and have a couple questions. would like as many answers as I can

1. I seem to be color challenged-what resources can I go to so I can put together a quilt with a variety of pleasing colors

2. it seems like some quilters can piece and quilt an item in a short amount of time-how long does it take you from start to finish

3 what are some patterns that can go together much quicker to give a sense of getting something done inbetween making a more complicated quilt

any hints, and/or comments would be greatly appreciated

I know one hint is to limit your quiltboard computer time :) sometime i spend more time here than on my work
Welcome to quilting and to the board. This is a great place to get advice and just hang out. Here are my opinions:

1. I have several suggestions for this. Get a color wheel. Pick a color. The colors on either side of your color are blending colors. The color directly across from your color is the contrasting color.

Start with a focus fabric -- florals work especially nice, as do Asians -- and then pick colors that go with that fabric. Most fabrics will have colored dots somewhere on the selvage. These dots represent each of the colors used in the fabric. Use those dots to choose your colors. Also, if the fabric line has a large print and a small coordinating print, that adds contrast.

As a fun self-challenge, find colors that begin with your initials (for example, mine are EYM, so ecru, yellow and magenta) and make a quilt with those color fabrics. I actually fudged and found a color called Elephant Gray and used it instead.

2. This is not a race (unless it's a gift and the party is tomorrow <LOL>). I usually only get to quilt an hour or less a day, so I just keep plugging along until I get it done. And the time will vary from pattern to pattern -- a four patch or a pinwheel with alternating solid squares will go much faster than a double wedding ring or lone star.

3. As mentioned above, a four patch, pinwheel or snowball block with alternating solid squares goes together very quickly and is very flexible when it come to size. There is a free pattern on the web called "Wickedly Easy Quilt" that is wickedly easy.

As for hints, measure twice, cut once. Get to know your machine and keep the manual handy, just in case. Have good lighting and a good chair. If things just aren't going well, get up and get a glass of iced tea (or cup of coffee). Let it sit for a while rather than just getting yourself frustrated. Stretch!

Hope this helps.