Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Yes it is a Model 15, and the lever is a back tack. Do you have any suggestion for how to lower the feed dogs?? I was hoping I could use it for FMQ, because it has such a long arm...10-1/4"!
If it's a Singer 15, with reverse... like a 15-91. Theres a round large screw type thing under the bed of the machine, more towards the left side. You have to tilt the machine up out of it's cabinet to get to it. As you loosen/tighten, the feed dogs will drop or rise. They're totally adjustable for your fabric feeding needs. The 15-91's are MONSTERS (that's GOOD!) at FMQ.

Just today, I had my fancy Janome 4000 and my old 15-91 both FMQing on 'test' fabric sandwiches. I wanted to see how the two machines 'felt' and handled. Both did the work... but my Janome is all plastic and light... although it's set into my Horn cabinet - it still has a tendancy to shift/walk when anything bigger than a wall hanging is quilted on it.

BUT that 15-91... man that sucker is built like a tank. As in Sherman! I think I could quilt a double california king quilt in that thing, and the heavy weight wouldn't trouble it at all. Being cast iron and like 40lbs..... really DOES make a difference. I was astounded. It's easy to use for FMQ, heavy, I had no issues.

I'm just starting out with the old machines... so there are others on this board that can tell you more. I love my 15. (I have a 301 too)...