View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
DogHouseMom

I had bought a slew of batiks from Hancocks when I was in Paducah from their pre-cut 'bins'. When I took them home and washed them I noticed one of them had a 2-3" piece where it was pieced together - sewn. I thought it odd, and figured I do plenty of 1" strips so it wasn't a big deal.

Tonight I was cutting fabric for a border. I trimmed off a section of another batik - this one I had purchased as yardage off the bolt at an LQS. While ironing I always pluck all the stray threads off the fabric and I noticed several of them were "woven" into the fabric. On further inspection ... they were all in a straight line. Closer inspection I could see the needle holes where it had been previously sewn, ripped, and the threads I was seeing were left-over threads not plucked out by whomever ripped it. It's about 1/2" in from the edge where my fabric was cut.

Has anyone ever purchased yardage off the bolt to find it was, or had been previously pieced? I've never seen this before and I find it twice in one month - both are batiks if that makes a difference.

Thankfully both are near the edge so it's no big deal, but boy oh boy would I be upset if it was in the middle of a 4 yard cut!!

Curious.