View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by Kaz
What is golden castor sugar?

It is like your light golden brown but finer so it is like (light golden brown) caster sugar you make cakes with.

Also, when you say 12 oz. sugar, do you mean 12 ounces by weight or 1 1/2 cups? Means 12 ounces in weight pretty sure in weight they are the same( but fluid ounces I know are different). it's not Metric weight (which would be grams etc.), it is Imperial.

Corn flour is pretty much your corn starch, what you would use to thicken gravies, sauces etc.

Lemon curd is delicious on toast... yummy!!! Or in US, maybe your biscuits (not quite the same as our scones but close).

Lol, None of my recipe books I bought from the Uk are much use over here to me, everything in cups etc. So learning it all the hard way and trying hard to find substitutes for things I took for granted back in the UK.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks for all the explanations. I'm sorry you're having a hard time here. Did you bring all your measuring devices and scales with you - that would surely make it easier. As for finding substitutions for ingredients you used in the UK, perhaps we can help. Give us a list of what you need and perhaps we can clarify some things for you. I'll bet there are quite a few people who have had the same problem and have found answers. We'll all try to help.