View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Kaz

Lol, not having a hard time, just learning to 'translate' American to English. No I didn't bring much with me at all, lol. I was supposed to be going back home to apply for a fiance visa after staying a while but we decided not to wait!! So a suitcase full of clothes, my cross stitching supplies, a couple of recipe books and that was it, lol. Even left my old Pfaff behind and DD is starting to use. Everything else my kids either kept or sold at my request.

I have managed to 'translate' most things, but my biggest problem is not being able to find the 'more slimming' versions of things like fromage frais and creme fraiche, quark. ROFL. We are vegetarian and I could NOT believe I had to buy vegetarian baked beans here (aren't beans vegetarian?). BUT one of our local supermarkets has a three foot long English section so I can buy my fave sauces, Heinz beans (ours has a lot less calories), gravy mixes (Bisto) and chutney. I also order my favourite chocolate as a treat from a Brit store (Cadbury's) occassionally.

Have made up and created a whole bunch of my own recipes like a meatless meat loaf and my DH thought he made the best lasagne in the world but when he tasted an authentic Italian version he changed his mind (no riccota cheese in this, (bechamel sauce with nutmeg instead). I make fake steak and mushroom pot pies and chicken ones too and it makes me laugh when he tells everyone I 'even make the pastry'.

So I don't do too bad, lol, now if only I knew what to do with all the 'greens' I see in the stores... what are collards? What is a rutabaga, lol.