View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Quilter7x

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
:idea: I just realized that if I'm going to do the blanket stitch by machine on the front through batting and a backing, that will make it difficult to do the embroidery on the front, right?

I was thinking of doing the embroidery before doing the machine blanket stitch, but I'm open to ideas.

I bought a light box many years ago. They were expensive back then, but I "needed" it for some project. They are well worth the money if you're going to get a lot of use out of them.
Āfraid so it wil make it very difficult to do the embroidery. It would be okay to do the embroidery first though as long as you have all the placements for the pieces on the block as well. However if you are planning om doing the blanket stitch through the batting why not put the back on at the same time. Make your back piece about 1" larger all round and you can then have it quilted as you go.
I went to a demonstration a few weeks ago and the way she did it is using the blanket stitch with raw edge applique. Then she joined the pieces with a strip and used a different fabric for the backing. She did that so the blanket stitch doesn't show on the back of her quilts, only the stippling or what ever quilting she did through all four layers.

I like the idea of doing the embroidery first, but would then have to be perfect at the blanket stitch. I'm also trying to figure out how to do the embroidery by machine. Don't know if I can get a narrow enough zig zag to do it, but I may try! :lol: