Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by AngieS
Thank you Rosalind. I will check the needle-maybe that's it. Not sure. Do you know anything about any of the settings on these? Like where whatever adjusts?
I was just editing my previous comment when you responded - made a few additions as I found them in the manual. My 99 was one I got at a garage sale one time and it does not have a foot pedal so I don't actually know if it runs. I oiled it and was able to make stitches by turning the handwheel. I have just bought a FW and will probably check to see if I can try the foot pedal from it on the 99. There is some cracked wiring from the 99's motor that will have to be dealt with first.

Upshot: I have no experience with the 99 beyond what I can read in the manual, and for some lucky odd reason that manual was included with my Featherweight, so I've just had it a few days. I have the FW manual, too, and from what I can tell the previous owner may have just preferred the 1957 manual because of the better pictures. The machines are very similar.

One thing that caught my eye was on page 32 there is a dire warning that "under no circumstances must the screw EE be loosened". This is a screw on the bobbin latch, and it will change the clearance between the case and the bracket that holds it in position. Isn't it just typical that some engineer saw fit to put a prominent, easy to turn screw in there and the "NO-NO!" warning occurs that far toward the back of the manual?

Page 10 has a list of thread and needle sizes to use with certain fabrics. For percale type fabrics it says 50 - 70 wt cotton thread, size 14 needle, and stitch length 12. There is a way to adjust the lower tension, but that's rarely needed. The upper tension is something I've always had to do by trial and error on every machine I've tried. The only other adjustment I can think of would be the tension on the drive belt, and I don't know a thing about doing that. I imagine if it's too tight or too loose that can cause problems with the stitches, too. If it's a very old belt, you might have to replace it, and I've seen some on eBay. Someone advised against the red ones that have teeth. Can't remember where I read it. I'm sure there's better info on this site than I can give.