Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

The Zelda project---the series of Zelda inspired stained glass quilted wall hangings I'm planning---is starting to get somewhere.

Wednesday, Joe took me to this little quilt shop in Neillsville that had Moda marbles. I spent a good hour or so looking at every Moda Marble I could find. It kind of sucked for two reasons: most of the manufacter's numbers were covered up with the store's UPC and after that hour or so I only managed to find about five colors. One of the colors I matched on the Moda fabric matcher turned out to be an entirely different color...was supposed to be a bright red when actually it was a bright orange. Thankfully there is a bright orange in my project so I think it will work.

Went to Barne's and Noble and found this awesome book on Japanese blocks. Too bad it was like $30 for the little thing. Aaaw.

Thursday, we went to the Hobby Lobby and a bunch of other places. I had intended to just find some large paper on a roll for my templates. Left with a roll of butchers paper, waste canvas, embroidery thread, a Celtic knot stamp, three stamp pads (black, green, and silver), a yard of black duckcloth with pink scrollwork, a quarter yard of green fabric (saving up for a quilt for Joe...don't know what I'm doing yet), and a yard of white fabric with Japanese caligraphy and red stamped symbols. Also went to Olive Juice. Joe stayed in the car because we got into a bit of a tiff right before hand because we didn't end up doing what we came to La Crosse in the first place because we dilly dallied in the mall. I shopped with a "Screw him! I'm getting this!" sort of attitude. Though I'm not really sure how buying fabric was going to spite him. Only found one fabric for the Zelda project. The rest was more Japanese caligraphy fabric, green fabric for Joe's unknown quilt, purple fabrics for my future cathedral quilt, and a couple dark reds I thought may or may not work for Zelda, but will use regardless.

And I FINALLY found bias bars! They look like plastic, but the packaging clearly states "no melt" on it. We'll see when I do football fields worth of bias tape.

Oh, and discovered this DIVINE thing called "tempura cheesecake". Discovered at a sushi restaraunt we go to (somehow had room to actually get dessert after 6 sushi rolls, miso soup, a few handfuls of edamame, and Joe's salad from his dinner)...Yoko's House in La Crosse if you're wondering. Basically its cheesecake filling dipped in a Japanese style batter, deep fried, and drizzled with chocolate and cherry sauces. Only thing is I'm lactose intolerant (not that I let that stop me) on top of it being a rich, deep fried dessert so there was a Japan sized earthquake in my stomach for a good portion of the night afterwards. But it was worth it.