View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Pamela Artman

I helped my mom with a quilt when I was visiting her a few weeks ago and the pattern was daunting to say the least. There were so many different pieces for the three blocks in the quilt, plus a pieced border. And the pattern was very confusing because it didn't tell you which fabric was for which block. To make matters worse, we were substituting brown fabrics for the black and a solid for a print. It was sooooo confusing! Before I started cutting, I wrote on the magazine page which fabrics were being used for each part of each block. Then I labeled some sticky notes with "piece A, block 1" and "piece D, block 2", "piece H, border", etc. As I cut, I put the sticky notes on the stack of pieces so when I was done cutting, we could sew all of block 1, then block 2, block 3 and the pieced border. After cutting, I pinned and pressed while my mom sewed and we got the top done in a couple of days! It was the most confusing quilt pattern I ever tried to follow, but my labels worked and it turned out beautiful!