Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM
karenm36

As you can see I'm doing a modified trip around the world for my next quilt. Originally I was going to have the 4 patch squares alternating with the solids. Then after making them all, I decided didn't like that layout and changed it to this. My plans are to pick up all the colors of the center of the quilt in the borders.

Since I'm new to sewing I'm not quite sure how to solve this problem: since I'm now sewing all the 4 patch squares together some of the seams aren't intersecting right even when I plan ahead. I think it's because I'm sewing patches to make the rows instead of sewing single strips together where I can plan all the seams better. So what would you suggest? Do I need to take apart all the blocks that don't match up when I sew them into rows so all the seams intersect right or is it okay for there to be a slight twist in the seam so that I can still make the seams intersect right? I hope this makes since. Since this is going to be a light weight quilt for a tropical climate there's not going to be batting. Does this factor into how I address this issue? (I think I'll be using flannel for backing).

Thanks for your input!

Karen

The beginning of the top on the design wall...all the smaller blocks are 4 patches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194450[/ATTACH]

If you look closely you'll see that some of the seams will either be bulky if I iron them like they want to lie down or they will intersect if I turn them to the other side but then there's a twist in the seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194451[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194444.jpe   attachment-194445.jpe