View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 AM
kay carlson

I seem to be on a never ending quest to pare down and get my own possessions in order. I have collected clothing, books and papers. Right now, I have one wastebasket each for paper to be recylced and items to be shredded. A separate box is always available for donations.

Dad saved everything, having gone through the Great Depression and graduated from high school in 1933. My bio-mother also graduated with him, but passed things on for others to use. My step-mother had extensive teaching supplies and loved to collect things. Then there were the things inherited through the death of family members....

I have helped clean out the apartment of a hoarder, and it is no picnic. I still shudder to think how that person existed and the heartache she had of not knowing what to do with everything from her parents and grandparents.

Yes,I do ask my children to not give me gifts for Christmas and birthdays. Their present to me is keeping in touch with one another and their presence is a gift -- especially when we live so far apart. Skype, Facebook and phone are great:)

With this said, I think I need to try on some summer clothes and see what I want to keep!!!!