View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by mimom
if I were to hand quilt for a fee, it would be 10-15 dollars per hour plus materials
This is absolutely what it would be worth, but probably more than he would pay as you could possibly spend 75-100 hours on the task. So, the trick to figuring out what to charge would be to decide your personal stake inthis project.
Is the quilter someone you knew well?
Do you know the son well? How much "love" factor is there in your taking it on?
What kind of work is involved....sewing some of the blocks together? Sewing the blocks into rows? Assembling the top, adding a border? Just doing the quilting...by hand or machine? Adding the binding?

In my opinion, this is one of those questions you answer *with* a question...."What is it worth to you? What did it mean to you before you decided to finish it? Why do you want it finished? How are you going to use it/display it? Have you ever watched your mother work on her quilts/do you know how much is involved? What is the maximum you had in mind to pay someone you don't know to work on this?

I've done a few quilts like this and charge differently every time, depending on the answers and my attachment to the quilt, the quilter, the heirs.

Good luck to you as you find your own way to the answer.

Jan in VA