Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

OK, there are a few different things we could do for the May swap. I thought we'd take a few ideas and see which one gets the most votes. Go ahead and start signing up on this thread, too.

When signing up for this one, I'd like you to vote yes or no to remove the size requirements and/or type of fabric to use. Someone might have a really cute idea for a slightly larger doll made from felt, for example....?? Anyway, if everyone votes yes, I'll change the "rules" to say something about the dolls usually being about 6-8 inches. Larger dolls cost more to mail, but that is the maker's decision and responsibility.

RULE #1: READ ALL THE RULES AND ALL OF THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD!!!!

NOW, there will be a couple of added rules to the swap.
Anyone with a no-send will not be added to the swap list.
You must be 18 years old or older to participate.
It is easier for me, if you PM your address to the gals who will be sending you your dolls. ??!!! OK?
########################################

"RULES":
1. Thoroughly read this first post.
2. If you have "no sends" (dolls not yet sent from previous swaps), complete those before signing up for another one.
3. You make the dolls from start to finish. Please don't buy doll bodies or pre-made clothing--that isn't fair. They are a lot of fun. Everyone is on a different level.
4. If you want to participate, make it clear in your post so I don't accidentally sign up an innocent by-stander! (yes, I did).
5. HAVE FUN!

This is a swap where you will make two dolls to be sent to two different participating members. You will receieve two dolls from two different members in return.

What/how: (for one doll) Take two 6 to 8-inch fabric squares--right sides together--and cut out your doll-shape. Sew, leaving an opening for stuffing, turn right-side-out. Stuff. Stitch shut. You may wish to draw a pattern on paper first, then trace onto the fabric. Each doll will be unique.
Or do it completely your own way, staying within the 6-8" requirements.

NOW GET CREATIVE! Add clothing, hair, buttons, beads, ANYTHING you desire! Most of all HAVE FUN!

These dolls don't weigh much, so they can be shipped pretty cheap. They will go first class in most cases, unless you are using something REALLY heavy in/on your doll.

Don't forget to take pictures of your dolls before you send them out. Post pictures of the dolls you receive, and of the dolls you make after they have been received by their new mommy.

I will assign partners a little later on this swap due to some no-sends. It gives us a little more time to complete our Easter/Spring swap. WE WILL STILL HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME TO MAKE THE DOLLS, WE JUST WON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE FOR. Then, you can PM your mailing address to the swappers that will be making your dolls. Try to have your dolls in the mail before 30 April.

Try not to mail out the dolls too early, so everyone can receive them around the same time. Try to mail them out in the last week of April and before 1 May. ***If you are mailing overseas or out of your country, you might want to get the package in the mail sooner if possible.*** Terri has informed us that it takes about 10 days for her to receive a package...and I assume it would take about the same length of time for someone in the 48 US states to receive one.

Be sure to remember to take pictures of the dolls you make in case someone you send to doesn't have a camera or a way to post pictures. DON'T post your pictures until after the recipient has gotten her doll so as not to spoil any surprises. I think it's neat to see photos of the doll in her original home and in her new home.

I will create a thread for photos of the dolls. I missed doing that for the Christmas swap. It gets confusing if we don't have a thread for just photos. Have a fun time making your dolls! I can't wait to assign partners!!!!

Here is a link to a tutorial barbsbus posted. It is wonderful. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/10250.page

THis link will take you to a thread where I posted a pattern of a doll body. Scroll down toward the bottom on the page this link takes you to.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/30/9958.page

PHOTOS FROM A PREVIOUS SWAP (VALENTINE DOLL SWAP)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15843.page

Thanksgiving/Fall doll swap pictures
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/12523.page