Thread: Missing Mom
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
kay carlson

I have been sentimental on Mother's Day each year as Mom has been gone 49+ years. I was 16 at the time and Dad was a wonderful single parent. DH lost his mother when he was 8 and doesn't have many memories of her at all. The father of my children pulled something really nasty on Mother's Day a few years before we divorced. So, I have had ups and downs this week.

This afternoon when I wanted a hug so badly, I gave DH a hug and thanked him for being such a kind and thoughtful person. I didn't pull him down and I got a wonderful warm hug in response.

Yes, I believe our loved ones are with us in spirit and I talk to Mom and a special aunt regularly. I am who I am because my parents had such a positive influence on my life. However, I am my own person and my children are individuals, as well.

I've heard from my children. They are truly blessings. Then, out of the blue, I received a warm Happy Mother's Day from DH's son. I don't think of myself as a stepmom, but as his father's wife as the young man was on his own before we married. DH and I have been married for ten years and being greeted by his son was very special.

I choose to keep and or make the warm memories and delete the crap and loneliness. May God bless you and those you love. This board has helped me grow and heal. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.