Thread: Missing Mom
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
alena

Like so many of you I lost my Mother many years ago, I was 34. My daughter was born after she was gone so never had time with her Grandmother. She dearly loved her grandkids and made them feel special. I got my love of sewing from her. She made all of our school clothes.

Some were from cotton feed sacks, but one could not tell it by looking. She would see a ready made garment in a store or store window, sketch it when she got back to the car, go home and put patterns together and made it for one of us three girls. She added trim, etc as needed. We always got a lot of compliments on our clothes and people wanted her to sew for them.

On this particular Mother's Day I thought of her, but not with the sense of loss I usually feel on this day, because I spent time with a dear 89 year old friend. Her DD, my SIL, is in the hospital, in another state, after some major surgery. Her other DD, my GD and I went to lunch together and spent part of afternoon together. That made this day special for me and I came away feeling blessed to have an opportunity to make her day somewhat better. Also,she loves having my four year old GD around and GD loves talking to her and entertaining her.

My daughter, son-in-law, and GD took me out for evening meal. Yes, GD got to go second time. An all around good day for me.