Thread: Flannel Quilts
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
ruthrec

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
Ok, does anyone make flannel quilts? I don't mean now, now that warm weather is here, but other times.

The second quilt I ever made was flannel and I have made three more since then. But I don't see many pictures of finished flannel quilts on the forum, so just wondering is this something that most don't make.

I know in WI, they come in handy and I also like putting flannel backing on a cotton front. Helps prevent slipping off the bed and alittle more cozy.
I have made a couple of baby quilts completely with flannel. Flannel can be hard to work with if not properly prepared. I buy extra fabric and wash in warm water (usually with a color catcher) and machine dry on high. It is going to shrink quite a bit and it's better that it shrinks before I cut and sew. I also make 1/2 " seams and press open. I starch the back side of the flannel and my sewing machine likes it much better. Also easier to work with. When I'm done with everything, wash again and hang or lie flat on a clean sheet (mine lies on a long table) and let dry. For extra softening, a little fabric softener and when barely damp, put back in dryer on low. Beautiful, soft, and warm. Sometimes I don't use batt but if I do I use Warm and White. Nothing slips and slides while stitching.