Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
kwendt

Hi all my wonderful treadle friends...serious question for you...

I've been looking for a 201 either to treadle or electric. Also been looking for a treadle cabinet without a machine, to put one of my 127's in.

Here's something I ran across about an hour away from me. Current owner's great grandmother had it in Canada. Has moved around with the family for years. Last move about 15 years ago... was sitting in garage for about 10 years or so. Picture follows. The cabinet, is a parlor/drawing room style I've never seen. Drawers on the RIGHT, fold down leaf on LEFT, yet top opens too? Note that the irons are gone. Cabinet was 'converted to electric' by ggm and made to fit her 201 (pictured sitting on the top). According to current owner, the two panels that are unattached: 1 is the door that swings over the column of drawers, and the other is one of the side panels that has come loose. Glue has unstuck. Current own says that it dates to 1914. I suppose that the cabinet does, but that 201 doesn't.

Here are my questions. Can anyone identify this cabinet? Is it a singer cabinet? or is it a different manuf.? (I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if there are any manufacturers marks/labels left on it anywheres). I'm asking, CAUSE my next question is.... how hard would it be to find/source the irons and mechanisms to bring this back to treadle? Assuming of course, that the wood wasn't butchered in the orig. process.

Next set of questions. That 201 was alloted in 1948. It's not original to the cabinet, machine fits into cabinet now... but I don't know why the machine is shown sitting on top of the cabinet, instead of sitting in it. I'm told that the stitch length level/forward/reverse... will only work if you HOLD it in position while sewing. That the machine will not feed the cloth either forwards or backwards otherwise. ????? Easy fix? Or no? Should I pick this machine up as my 201?

old cabinet and 201 on site
[ATTACH=CONFIG]195079[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195073.jpe