Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Here's a thought.... on the older, straight stitch Singers, clones, treadles and such; has anyone done a check list of what things to 'check' first when there's a problem? Like a trouble shooting guide? That might be a good sort of document to have, especially for newbies to the old ladies. ???[/quote]

As far as a check list I look at it real good - does it move? Is the tension bent? Are the thread guides there? Is the bobbin case there? Is there rust? How much rust? Are all the parts there? Slide plates, etc... How damaged is the paint? Does it chain? Is the stitch regulator working? How much is it? How much do you have to put into it to make it sing? On a zig zag I look to see if it goes back and forth. Does it DO those decorative stitches if it is suppose to? Does the needle hit the hole? Does the needle hit a foot? Does it bring up a bobbin thread? Has it been dropped or thrown through a window? Is it gummed up with oil and not moving? How about the motor? Foot control? Wires? Light? Did someone not figure out how to get it out of a table and break a hinge or break the hinge out of the wood? Are the treadle parts all there? There are probably more questions...

Or do you mean when there is a problem what do you check? There are all kinds of trouble shooting guides on internet - I have learned a lot that way