View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Lena1952

From what I can tell it is most likely and Eastern Screech Owl. This little guy is learning to fly and take care of himself. The short tail feathers are a dead give away about his age. While he can fly without longer tail feathers it makes it more difficult to fly and maneuver. Mom's are normally keeping an eye out for the these guys and still feeding them. As a wildlife rehabber with both state and federal permits, I have raised many of these guys. Some are trusting and sweet and some are definitely not. All wildlife does best when the natural mom takes care of them, but every now and then they need to be cared for by foster parents. This is best left to people with the knowledge to care for them properly. Please, if you find wildlife you think is orphaned, call your local Dept of Natural Resources or go online and look for a wildlife rehabilitation expert in your state or area to seek help. Not only is it illegal for you to keep wildlife, it can also be dangerous for you and the very animals you attempt to help. Sorry to preach, but I have seen too many animals suffer needlessly from people trying to help.