Thread: Eagle Scout
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Ramona Byrd

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
From a mom of an Eagle, congratulations. They don't get that without a lot of parent support!!!
------------------
You can say THAT again!! I was also a den mother, but really never intended to be one. I volunteered to "Help" the REAL Den Mother, but very shortly discovered that 30 minutes after getting pregnant she became too nauseous to continue working with 8 little boys. So, guess who got them for the next couple of years!
It was fun though, and the further it goes into the past, the more fun I had. I found some of my papers in decluttering recently, and remembered that one of the little boys was considered "slow" or slightly retarded. BUT his interest in his Cub books made him struggle to learn better reading, and his teacher hunted me up to ask what I'd done to help him so much. (We met at the school lunch room after school) I had boys ranging from "slow" to "gifted" which was also what my DS was, (and he was a pain at times, the little smart *%^&) but my favorite was the darling little slow one. When he had a hard time at something when at my home, he would go to our dear old Doberman, Kurt, and sit with his arms around the big dog till he felt better.
Sometimes down town now a huge young man will rush up and hug me, reminding me who he was and introducing me to his wife and family, then bored his poor kids while he remembered this and doing that way back then.
Yes, it was a real job, but well worth it.