View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
TheresaP.

Our quilt shop does these sleep-at-home retreats. They are great because you arrive, set up your machine, spread out your "stuff" on your 6' or 8' table, and it's totally "ME" time. They provide extension cords, ironing stations, cutting stations, cushions for your chair, a drink and a snack each day. At least a couple of ladies bring baked goods for everyone. They help you carry in all of your stuff. They get coupons from the nearby restaurants for those who want to take time off to leave and eat. The retreats run Thurs and Fri 9 to 9 and Sat 9 until 4. On Sat they provide pizza and salad. Also, since Wednesday is open sew day anyway, you can arrive on Weds, set up for the rest of the week and be there 4 days. All this for $40 and it's well worth it. No phones, no hubbies, no kids, no pets, just me and my beloved machine, and project(s). It's so great to drive home, come the next day and continue where I left off.

The unfortunate part about these sleep-at-home retreats is that anyone who lives too far away doesn't want to drive home after dark each day so they have to either get a room somewhere or just not come.

The other things, like block exchange, joint projects, etc are for when we go to the away 3-day retreats. At these, our meals are cooked for us 3 times a day, which is way too much food. Everyone brings a snack, it's put on an 8' table and we eat some more. The only thing we have to do at these is make our bed when we get there and take the sheets off when we leave. Isn't life great???