View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
klgreene

I have been quilting since the 80's, but back then it was all hand quilting. So about a year and a half ago, I started machine quilting. I used my machine to make valances, little things like that. But since I've started quilting, I have been having so much trouble with my stitches. When I set it for 4 I want that stitch, not a 0. When I started quilting I took my machine apart, oiled it .....and thought I cleaned it out pretty good. NOT!!! Today I was fed up and about ready to throw the machine out the window. But I really just can't afford a new one right now. So I decided to take that old baby and take her apart. I cleaned, I oiled, I did everything I thought of......then I looked closer at my feed dogs. I know they don't drop. BUT....I don't think I've ever cleaned them out properly. Chunks of gunk came out. I polished those babies up. And now she purrs like my new kitten. And I actually get a #4 stitch when I set it to #4. I sure wish I would have been a little smarter a year ago. I've done so much quilting and have not been thrilled with any of the quilting, even though I can only do SITD or a 1/4 in from seam, and a few other ditties, but it would have made so much of a difference, so not that I want to tell everyone I'm an idiot, but I know a couple people have posted on here what seemed exactly like my problem, so when you oil and clean, but sure you get all the gunk out of the feed dogs. I hang my head for my ignorance, but doing the happy dance because I don't need to spend any money on a new machine.