Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
olebat

It's a done deal. I got the Singer 201 in cabinet with stool. Machine was frozen. But I did some minor work on site and got it moving again. Powered it up (potted motor)and she sewed a nice stitch and almost silent. . . until the race flew out of place. I casually picked up the pieces, put them in a drawer, and said I can work on that when I get home. No need to take any more of your time.;-)

The grand son handed me the stool, gram ma started giving me boxes of parts, and off to the van we marched. He got a hand truck, and loaded it. Then, they decided to unload a lot of sewing supplies. The room was so congested with quilts, fabric, pillows, and artificial flowers one could hardly move. So, $35 later, a new machine, and a van load of fabric. (She had worked at Carol Fabrics for over 20 years and had a lot of Carol left overs.) Not only that - they will call me as they empty out the room. They need to get it empty to convert it back to a bed room. I told her I'd take anything she didn't want - don't throw anything away. They have no idea what is in that room, or what it goes to. Lots of cams, slant-o-matic parts, I think she picked up Singer parts at the flea markets, then got home and didn't have a machine to fit the parts. Eighty years old, she was telling me stories about people and how they swapped machines around, and they died. . . the story would change I don't know if I heard one all the way through.

Anyway, the machine looked real clean, just gummed with age. The only problems I saw were a burned out light bulb, and the ink well is missing. The cabinet appears to have water damage, probably from a wet carpet, and the veiner is slightly pealed. I think I did OK. Picks when I get the manpower to get it unloaded.