View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 AM
charity-crafter

I posted photos of my first wallhanging I made for my sister a few years ago. This one was done completey by hand-the embroidery part. It was my first completed project so it's not quilted well.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122277-1.htm#3224516

My grandmother and Aunts made Sunbonnets all the time. They had a cousin who worked in a sheet factory years ago who would send them several 50 pound boxes of sheeting scraps every year. And they would make applique quilts, pieced baskets filled with appliqued flowers, plus simple sqaures and hexagon quilts from the scraps. Sunbonnet Sues and Overall Bills using coloring books to embroidery interesting backgrounds.

They would also do the gingham dog and calico kitten poem, with appliqued dogs and cats romping around the poem.

40 years ago, they were selling their queen size quilts for several hundred dollars. Baby quilts were $50. Of course it was mostly hand done, the only machine sewing was joining the blocks and part of the binding. The applique, quilting and finishing binding was all done by hand. 30 years ago they invested in a long arm quilting machine and went crazy. The smaller scrapy quilts were tied and given away or sold for much less.

I remember them carefully tracing out pattern pieces with a pencil and cardboard template and cutting with scissors each piece, using each little scrap of fabric for something. Some small green scraps would become leaves or stems for flowers.

They were funny, they refused to just give a quilt to anyone especially family. If you wanted a quilt, you paid for it. That way they knew you wanted it and would take care of it properly.

At my house, the coloring books are off limits. They are mine and the crayons are mine too. No, you can't play with my crayons. Bring your own...unless you are designing a quilt then I'll share.